Friday 17 June 2011

Do you know where your chicken comes from?

Before starting this experiement with living without the supermarkets, I often bought RSPA approved chicken but honestly didn't really know how my meat was being reared.  Reading some of the literature that came with my Abel & Cole delivery gave me a bit of a rude awakening.  Apparently 860 million chickens were reared for food in 2007 and most of them were intensively farmed.  According to A&C these chickens are bred to grow faster than they would naturally, which cripples them under their own weight.  They have a shorter life span and are given less and less space. Even if that doesn't move you, they have 21% more fat, 30% more saturated fat and 50% less vitamin A and 100% less Omega-3 fatty acids than organic chickens!!!  Some quick online research backed up A&C's claims ... will make me think about meat a lot more carefully in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment