Thursday 2 June 2011

The challenge

OK, on a country drive taking in local farms, 'pick your own' signs and farm shops, I said to my lovely OH "how about we try living without the supermarket for a month?".  Like me, he resents wandering round soulless supermarkets and big chain stores at the weekend and we both feel we should be doing more to support local independent shops and farms.  So he was game and now I am researching how we can source all of the things we normally buy from the big supermarkets (we are a modern family with my partner's 19 year old son and our 14 month old baby boy, plus a very demanding pussy cat making our weekly shopping basket nicely varied LOL).  But we are also keen that we do not pay significantly more than at the supermarkets.  I thought I'd start this blog to record how we get on and also hopefully to inspire others to venture outside of the supermarkets too.  Of course if there's anyone out there who has already started down this road, any tips would be gratefully received ...

First step, signing up for a veg and fruit box scheme.  I am in the process of signing up with Stanhill Farm in Wilmington, which is our most local scheme ...

No comments:

Post a Comment